Cigar Box Checkers Board

This is one of those projects where I thought I could whip out four or five of these in no time. Its a simple idea...but making the chalkboard pattern is more time consuming than it looks. As a result, I've only made one of these. 





The box is already black so I used painters tape to create the pattern prior to painting the white squares. That was the monotonous part, using an exacto knife to cut out every.single.white.square. UGH! Tedious. Time consuming. 









(I have another project in the works where I used scrapbook paper to create the pattern. I'll share my thoughts on that later.)











Originally I was going to make it a chess/checkers set and had scoured Pinterest for fun DIY chess piece ideas, but I was loosing steam FAST for this project and just wanted to get it done and over with. Instead I settled for Mod podging stars to the flat side of the decorative rocks (Dollar Tree) for the "king me." 
There is definitely some room in here for chess pieces, too. If it sits too long I'll make some to boost its allure. 


And here we are, a classy version of a traditional game.



In the rush to get pics I didn't even take note if the board was facing the right way. 


Tomorrow is supposed to be a gorgeous teaser of summer so I'll be able to go outside and finish the scrap paper checkerboard table. It needs lacquer which is way too stinky and toxic for applying while inside. 

Wish you all a beautiful day tomorrow! 


Comments

  1. I'm totally kicking myself for passing up a cigar box at a thrift store, because I couldn't decide what I'd do with it - love this!

    Thanks for sharing it at Talk of the Town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister gave me several cigar boxes for crafts, they sat on a shelf for over a year before I could figure out what to do with any of them. thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
    2. My sister gave me several cigar boxes for crafts, they sat on a shelf for over a year before I could figure out what to do with any of them. thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
    3. My sister gave me several cigar boxes for crafts, they sat on a shelf for over a year before I could figure out what to do with any of them. thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm totally kicking myself for passing up a cigar box at a thrift store, because I couldn't decide what I'd do with it - love this!

    Thanks for sharing it at Talk of the Town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great repurpose Audra! We see boxes all the time but don't knowwhat to do with them. This is practical and pretty. I am hosting a link party and I'd love for you to link up your projects at Sweet Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so fun, I love this. Please share your post over at http://tryit-likeit.com/link-it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Audra, I love your checkboard!! Great repurpose of an old cigar box! I started making a checkboard a few weeks ago but stopped because I couldn't decide what I wanted to do for pieces. Lol. I like your idea of using Dollar Tree rocks and especially painting the star on there to indicate the "King Me" status. Thanks for linking up at Sweet Inspirations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a ton of old cigar boxes like this, never thought to make this game out of them! Nice repurpose! Thanks for linking up at Vintage Charm:) xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment