Pallets, and Fences and Scraps...OH MY!


They're free. They're easily found. They're like snowflakes for each board is different. They're one of my favorite crafting supplies. And the sky is the limit on what you can do with them. Did I mention they are free (usually)? Frugally fashionable.

And when I say "they" I mean: pallets, fences and random scrap wood pieces.  



My latest scrap wood project is a background for a monogram letter. And at the end of this post I added a flashback round-up of similar projects I've made over the years. 

Natural Weathered Pallet and Fence Boards

I love this monogram letter hanging over our fireplace. Roughly following the 60-30-10 color rule, this "T" coordinates with the other 10% of turquoise in my home. 



These boards are just full of character: nails, knots, cracks. 



Originally this was matte black. A couple layers of teal and turquoise acrylic paint and funky distressing (you can tell by the scratches that I didn't stick to distressing in one direction) created a lovey-to-me color pallete. My husband is on the fence. 


To keep the wood from scratching the wall I glued the wood to a heavy piece of cardboard. So far its held together nicely. Wire stapled to the back acts as a hanger. ***If I were making this to sell or as a gift I'd use wood for the backing. One can always add felt pads to prevent the wood from scratching the wall.***
White-Washed Pallet Wood

I meant to blog about this nautical beauty two years ago when this went into my now-closed booth. The anchor shelf was dug out of a curbside pile. The top brace of the anchor was missing and the paint was sadly faded and chipped. A little TLC and this knick-knack shelf was refreshed and ready for display.

















On its own, it didn't sell. 

It was just too plain on its own. It needed something more.  

After mounting it on some whitewashed pallet boards and upping the price (a sales tactic another booth owner encouraged) this piece sailed out of the booth. Pun intended. 

I'm not a huge fan of anchors but the whitewashed wood behind it really added to the charm of this piece and it was tempting to keep. The wood also helped this fit into the style of my booth. 



Oldies but Goodies: Flashback Round-Up

Stained Fence Boards 



Pallet Display Boards
Click Here for the Original Post




Framed Fence Boards Display
Click Here for Framed Fenceboard Post. 




So the next time you drive by a discarded pile of old fences or see a pallet or scrap wood pile for free on your local FB resell group...grab 'em! Create your own unique wooden backgrounds to display your favorite items. Need help? Pinterest is LOADED with ideas.

Happy crafting!

Pin-spiration

Image may contain: text


Comments

  1. Audra that wood looks so beautiful against the white of the walls. Pallets for the win! These are all fantastic projects. In fact they make me want to toss my frames prints out the window and hang something like this in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! If I'm not careful I'm going to put pallets everywhere, I just find them so visually interesting. I love the stuff you do on your blog and I bet you'd knock a pallet project out of the park!

      Delete
  2. You are seriously one of the most creative people I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have used the pallets, fences and scrap wood to make great backgrounds for so many things. The wood background really does make the item that is on it seem bigger and more important. Thanks for sharing these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how you used those pallets! Thanks for sharing with us at the To Grandma's house we go link party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a pile in my yard courtesy of Hurricane Irma. Thank you for the inspiration. I really like all of the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a story a project like that could tell! It must be hard to recover from an event like that, I can only imagine.

      Delete
  6. I couldn't agree more. I love me some scrap wood projects! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love that anchor project! It's so eye-catching with the red and your alphabet "T" is perfect! I'm sure your husband will come around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's ok with the "T" but hesitant on the reclaimed wood part. Not a decor trend we have in common. :)
      The anchor project turned out better that I expected. I'm not a huge anchor fan but I was tempted to keep this piece.

      Delete
  8. Such creativity! I love that turquoise color!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment